Old 01-12-08, 05:43 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
On the one hand, trainers and spin classes aren't really riding, so you can't expect to start spring as strong as you left off in the fall.

However, they are lots better than nothing. It also gives you the opportunity to work on technique -- there's more to pedaling than just turning the cranks, and stuff like spin classes will help (as well as retain some of your aerobic capabilities). So yes, I think they can definitely be an effective alternative.

One of the down sides is that riding a trainer can be awfully boring.
Agreed. The benefit of running on a treadmill is that you may be protecting your joints a bit more than running (at least on paved surfaces). Many treadmills have adjustable "softness" , have no holes or bumps, are usually well lit and you're running with your natural motion.

Spin bikes and trainers (not so much rollers), are very inflexible (esp. spin bikes) and the lack of natural flexibility contributes to added joint pressure.

Although I always really try to focus on my form, I'm especially sensitive when on the spin bike in an attempt to minimize repetitive stress on my joints (knees, hips, elbows).

An increase in (safe) spinning this winter has already really allowed a big improvement in mid-January fitness for me. I always try to get a spot where I can check my form in the mirror to reinforce proper knee alignment, smooth pedaling, etc. I still sweat buckets!