View Single Post
Old 06-15-19, 11:23 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam

Do wider rims provide any benefit when combined with...errr...not-big tires?

TIA...
Wider rims would make for a rounder contact patch for a given tire diameter. And often times a smoother airflow from tire to rim as well.

Everyone seems to think wider tires provide less rolling resistance. That's true with one caveat: At the *same* pressure. The reason? A rounder/less oval contact patch. This holds true for smaller diameter wheels too.

Now, I don't know about you, but between a 23c & a 32c at the *same* 120psi...I'll prefer the ride of the 23c on a slightly wider rim anyday. You wouldn't want to run 32's at 120psi anyway. That's an awful lot of force driving your rim flanges/bead seat apart.

Wider tires will provide much more comfort and better resistance to pinch flats at lower pressures than skinnies due to additional air volume. So really it kind of comes out as a wash and only a couple of watts CRR either way you go.

AFIK: Continental GP5000 have the lowest Coefficient of Rolling Resistance of any clincher tire. Around 10 watts each IIRC. If I were in the market, I'd buy the 23c version & Continental Supersonic tubes.