Old 07-31-19, 09:34 PM
Mr_Stop

Bikes: '00 Lemond Zurich, '87 Celo Europa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Hit the road this evening for about 10 miles with some decent hills (for someone out of shape anyway). I definitely struggled on the hills due to fitness and the lack of a climbing gear.

I had always pumped my tires to about 110 psi, but dropped them to about 95 psi after learning that higher isn't necessarily better. What an improvement in the ride! All my looking at gearing pretty much informed me that I knew nothing about bike gears and shifting. In fact, I was pretty much using the front chain rings all wrong. Understanding the gearing and overlaps made me a bit more efficient in my use of the gears. I still need a lot more saddle time, but it's a start.

I have been refining my bike upgrade plan. I'm going to try and bite it off in a phased approach:

Phase 1 - Improve general rideability and safety
  1. Replace brake pads with Kool Stop with brackets, X pads and salmon pads
  2. Swap out 6 Speed Freewheel with SHIMANO 7-Speed Tourney Bicycle Freewheel - MF-HG37 (13/28T)
    • Use existing downtube shifter in friction mode, or swap out for 7 speed SIS if can source used for reasonable price
    • Replace current UG chaing with Shimano HG71 6/7/8 speed chain
  3. Replace cables, bar tape, tune-up bike & adjust fit
  4. Add rear and front lights to improve visibility on roads - any budget but good reco's?
Phase 2 - Bump up performance - Sell old Deore XT components to fund
  1. Install new tires - either Continental GP4000S II or Vittoria Rubino Pro Clincher (budget option) in 25C size - $25-70
  2. Replace crankset with compact crank
  3. New pedals & shoes
Phase 3 - Assess need for further mods after above is done and fitness improves