Old 09-13-13, 05:03 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Hiller,
Welcome to 50+, belatedly for me. As to the part about lower gears or seeking to make riding easier for the beginners, much of the encouragement for gearing is that "mashing" or grinding the high gears can lead to knee problems, as well as making ascents more difficult. That point isn't just for those just starting out, or returning, to cycling. Many long time riders mash or grind out of long held beliefs that you have to push big gears to be a "serious" cyclist. As for me, I was lead to spinning gears in 1979 by an older club member in the club we rode in back then. I was having left knee pain when I rode, at no other time did it hurt, even when running high mileage. He suggested I spin the gears a bit. Long story to a shorter version, the spinning was the answer, I was pulling the big-small combination on a 53-42 crank and a 13-20 set all the time as I thought it made me a stronger cyclist.It just made my knee sore and was discouraging me from riding.

It is just the way we try to help others, your mileage and use of your hybrid is very good, from the numbers you are riding so far and if higher gearing and not spinning them works for you, it is great that it allows you to enjoy your miles. I have been impressed by the mileage personally, you seem to be in good shape as you are starting out.

The book you recommend is a good one, Shermer is a good writer. You may want to try some of Joe Friel's and Lennard Zinn's books as well, if you haven't already read some or all of them. I like Joe Friel's take on over 50 cycling and his various training books as well as using his Cyclist Training Diary myself. All the best in your riding and getting the fitness you and all of us are seeking.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-13-13 at 05:54 AM.