Old 02-24-19, 02:24 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
I know I’m biased, but I don’t like riding in LA County. The Santa Monica mountains have some of the crappiest roads known to man (as somebody already mentioned) and I’m sure with all the rain, the road conditions haven’t gotten any better. If you can book yourself in a hotel in Orange County (Irvine, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest) you can get a safe, decent 100 km ride going south to Camp Pendleton and back. I would recommend this route: get somehow to Irvine, take Shady Canyon (mostly paved bike trail) to Newport Coast (fairly easy climb), then PCH South to San Clemente and from there you can get all the way to Camp Pendleton on lightly traveled roads (some are campground roads with no traffic). Then go back. The only crappy section is on PCH in Laguna Beach between Laguna Canyon (CA-133) and Crown Valley. You can easily avoid it by going inland on Laguna Canyon and then get back on PCH at Crown Valley. I reckon at least 50% of this route is coastal, with great views of the ocean. That's the route that I do when I want to be a tourist.
i recall yerba buena rd as the only substandard major road in the santa monicas but maybe i'm misremembering. things were pretty good in november when i last visited.

otoh...in your neighborhood...santiago canyon road, in either direction, is the best i've ever seen it. the entire length of antonio parkway from rsm to san clemente was solid as well. hit both two weeks ago.