View Single Post
Old 04-11-19, 08:15 PM
edouble8

Bikes: '87 De Rosa Professional, Late '70s/Early '80s De Rosa Professional, '82 Rossin Record, '81 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo 12V, '87 3Rensho SR, '87 Marinoni, '75 Witcomb USA Touring, '91 Cannondale ST1000, '84 Shogun 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've traveled to Japan in 2016 to do the Shimanami Kaido event with our local bicycle club, and it was spectacular! I wanted to rejoin another group last year since the event is every 2 years. 2016 was the "small" event with approximately 3000 participants, while 2018 was the "large" event with 8000 participants! The event alternates every 2 years. If you have the chance, I'd cycle through this famous bicycle route, which should be on every bicycle tour bucket list. I brought my daily commuter bicycle on this trip ('91 Cannondale ST1000) & I didn't have any problems with it not being a folding bike on the trains. Just have to have it completely covered in a "rinko" bag (Japanese bicycle bag for traveling on trains).

Also, in 2018, I returned to Japan to participate in an Eroica event. But this time, I brought my vintage De Rosa. The hills in Agatsuma/Gunma were brutal, but rewarding in the end, since we were located at an onsen (natural hot springs) resort, so you could soak after a hard day's ride. This is another spectacular event I'd like to continue to participate in the future. Although, riding my vintage bike through Tokyo city was just as memorable and exciting!

Japan is so much fun, so I'm sure you'll have a blast! Kampai!!! (cheers in Japanese)

P.S. Agree with the "Cycle Around Japan" episodes on NHK tv. They are well done, but sometimes way too much cycling & they carry so little on their bikes...but I'm sure the TV sag wagon helps them out too!