View Single Post
Old 07-05-19, 11:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I feel like a broken record, There is one place tubulars rule. Your JRA may never encounter that condition, but depending on where you live and ride, it might. Fast downhills. Tubulars are the tires you want to be on if you ever lose pressure suddenly going really fast. A well glued tubular doesn't come off - at any speed. Even in a full, catastrophic blowout. In my racing days I blew tubulars at least once at 40+. Just rolled to a stop and changed the tire. By contrast, I blew a clincher several years ago. First, I was riding "on ice", aluminum rim on pavement, then go tossed hard at 20+ when the tire jammed in tte chainstays, hitting my helmet hard, breaking collarbone, cracking rib(s) - skipped the X-rays, and an acre of road rash.

There's that, and - good tubulars are magic carpets, a ride you will not see anywhere else. (And like magic carpets, only those who have actually ridden them know. Also like magic carpets, they all have defects since they are handmade, the tires in Asia, the carpets in Persia.)

Ben