Old 07-23-19, 10:34 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yeah, some of the revived old posts are a nuisance, but this is a cycling forum. Bicycles are near timeless and so is a lot of the wisdom around them. If we lock down old threads we lose access to wisdom that might run contrary to today's opinions. (Not quite true, We can still read locked threads, but locking them tends to shut down original thought and prevents us from sharing that without starting a new thread. And new threads just to eventually get to what was realized 10 years ago; is that the best use of our intelligence?)

I do agree that the threads should have date started stamp on them. I am guilty of answering decade old posts.

Ben
In an ideal world I would agree with you completely.

One of the problems with being a newbie on a forum is you don't want to (or are told not to) start a new thread on a commonly-asked question, so you use the search engine, your question pops up, and so you post to that thread. That seems perfectly reasonable. But many of these just seem to be random.

Clearly the clown that necro-posted this 10 year old foo (off-topic) thread on out-of-state car registration didn't meet the above criteria.

Maybe instead of locking the thread, there could be an icon or some readily identifiable demarcation of old threads, or a pop-up warning, or something.

I do agree that the threads should have date started stamp on them. I am guilty of answering decade old posts.

Ben
They do, but unless you go looking for them, it isn't the first thing you spot. I usually look at the recent activity, and get sucked in that way. I suppose I should very carefully look for the thread creation date, but clearly I am not alone in missing this.

I do wonder if there is a correlation between gratuitous necro-posts and spammers trying to get their post count increased so they can spam the BB?