Old 08-02-19, 12:29 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Well...I've been hit a few times, twice with injuries. I was a relative novice the first time, and a more experienced cyclist likely could have predicted and avoided the collision. The second time (exactly one month ago) was a genuine accident. Because I knew what to do, I dodged the worst case scenario and was able to get back on an upright bike after a few days and a road bike after about two weeks.

To be perfectly honest, I see more (and worse) injuries on road bikes that are not car-related at all. I've known (and witnessed) several riders with season-ending injuries resulting from dodgy pacelines...broken collarbones, broken wrists and elbows, and other things that require surgery. Bad pavement, poor descending techniques, and random gravel can also cause some serious injuries. Don't even get me started on my MTB friends...they wear giant bandages with pride.

I've just accepted that cycling on the road - whether solo or in a group, for transportation or sport - is an activity that comes with certain risks. To me, the risk is worth the reward: I can get the rush of epic speed on a tiny human-powered machine, see some awesome places I'd never go otherwise, and save a bunch of money on transportation and gym memberships. It's a calculated risk, but learning about how crashes happen and improving one's knowledge and skills increase your odds of survival.