View Single Post
Old 08-06-19, 09:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
The bikes I listed above are the bikes I own. I don't have any others. I don't flip bikes anymore. Maybe I didn't use the term "keeper" properly. If "keeper" means I don't see myself ever selling it, then maybe some of the bikes that I have for now won't be with me forever.

Lemond: I like my Lemond, but I've only had it a short time, and if I can find a similarly lightweight bike that fits 650b tires more easily, I might replace the Lemond. Right now it has 650b wheels and long-reach brakes and 38mm tires. The clearance between tire and chainstay is only 1 or 2 mm, so I'm asking for trouble. It doesn't look like a permanent configuration. But the bike rides a bit harshly with 27 mm 700c tires.

Super Course: My Super Course keeps proving to be worthy, and I've lost count of the times I've partially and fully rebuilt it. I got the partial bike for $0, and the market value is low, so if it got stolen or trashed, I think I wouldn't be heartbroken. On the other hand, I like riding it a lot, so maybe I would be. If I came upon a more lovable bike, would I replace the Super Course with it? Only if the test ride shows it to have more charisma than the Super Course.

Viscount: This is another low-market-value bike, and the ride isn't magical, either. I sometimes lock it up in the city because I won't be heartbroken if it gets stolen. I'm going to replace the fixed cog with a single-speed freewheel to see if I like that. Sometimes I don't want the vigorous workout I get from riding fixed.

Raleigh Pro Track: This is an impractical bike, like a sports car. It's not very comfortable, as it's built for short races. I raced it for one summer. I might get bored with it one day, and it takes up space. I might as well keep it while I can afford to.

McLean: This is definitely a keeper. It fits well, and the handling is very predictable and controllable even at high speed. And it's gorgeous. I built it up in 1983 with Campagnolo Super Record and Nuovo Record components. A few years ago, I rebuilt it with an indexed drivetrain. It still has my original brake calipers, Campagnolo Record single pivots.

Raleigh International: I would be hurt if this were stolen, yet I do lock it up occasionally, which I probably shouldn't do. At least I don't do it regularly. The bike proves to be versatile. As I said before, it's good for utility rides and pleasure rides. I think this one is a keeper.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.