View Single Post
Old 08-23-19, 04:30 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
One of our club members apparently set the fastest time out to Brest but I don't know any details about the rest of the ride, heard they were going for a sub-50 hour time.

I had a good ride, spent over 30 hours off the bike and about 10 of those were trying to aleep. I'd guess I got maybe 3 good hours in but it was enough rest for me to finish under 90h. I missed a few of the intermediate control closings, but I didn't quite get the math on those right and like one of anciens told me, and a few other that were fretting about them, that the only thing that matters is getting to the end before the 90h is up and I managed to do that.

I'm glad a lot of my basic French came back to me and I really enjoyed talking to people along the route as well as be able to thank them for all their support. I need to keep talking in French for the next four years so it comes easier for me.

The cold nights were almost too much for me and I had the right gear but left it in my drop bag in Fougeres... My rain pants and thicker gloves would have helped but I found myself heating up on every climb so it might have been too much clothing. The jacket I bought is too old and no longer wind or water resistant so it's time to get something new.

I had a couple low points in those cold mornings where I thought about quitting but got lucky to be able to push through those and finish. Having a. Airbnb in Loudeac cost me some time but having two proper showers and two naps in a bed was helpful. I'm glad I had the drop bags from Baxter's too, they were exactly where they said and right on the course but I forgot to stop at the Carhaix one on the way out and had to carry an extra dirty kit with me from Loudeac too Fougeres.

PBP is really in a league of it's own compared to the North American 1200s.The scenery was nice but also a bit repetitive, I did enjoy the Carhaix-Brest section the most.
Likes For clasher: