View Single Post
Old 09-11-19, 06:48 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Someone headed outbound tried to pass other outbound riders who were proceeding two- (three- ?) abreast across Mill Street, and came swooping across my bow as I was headed inbound across the intersection, and clipped me (front tire? handlebar? things happened fast...). I had one of those "Where did he come from?!" moments that we tend to mock drivers for, and then went down, hard. From my point of view, this was an error in judgement on the other rider's part, which I doubt he'll repeat.

Take-away is that intersections present a temptation for riders to re-sort themselves, a temporary easing of restrictions (disappearance of lane striping, sudden apparent broadening of the way) and that can be hazardous, especially in crowded conditions. Good lane discipline in intersections is essential, and is often not practiced. Signaling turns and lane changes in intersections is also critical. Throw pedestrians, dogs, and children into the mix to get the full complexity of this use case. Bike path lane markers are generally not continued across intersections; perhaps they should be, or perhaps some other cognitive aids (e.g., signs) could be helpful. Something to think about, and perhaps work to change.

rod
Since the ADA rework of the Mill Street crossing was recently done, this one might be left to our children sadly. (BTW, check out the ADA rework error at Summer/Mill, at the Scutra corner. A bit of a cliff poured in conrete.)

Two examples:

This is close to what would be WONDERFUL at such crossings. Raised crossing, two marked pedestrian crossings on either side of the bike path in brick. Plantings that do not block sightlines!

It would be better if the bike crossing sign was on the near side (and was bike/ped crossing sign), and the tree in the middle is a bit unfortunate (but glad they didn't take it down).

Alewife Linear Park/Somerville Community Path crossing of Cameron Ave.)

Alston/Boston inverted it (green bike lanes on either side of the crosswalk). Note the cliff to trip up people in wheelchairs AND people on bikes.

One of the Cambridge Streets.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-11-19 at 06:54 AM.