Old 09-12-19, 02:40 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Tim, thanks for that info. If I am understanding it correctly, it is indeed (as you wrote) "an academic discussion" in that there is the theory (BTLE and Ant+ compatibility should be generic) and the practice (there may be incompatibilities in practice).

I had assumed it was a standard like Dolby Noise Reduction, which was proprietary but widely licensed. (And if you are too young to have used cassette decks, you may have never heard of Dolby!)

Both BTLE and ANT+ have standards but like everything else, people are free to misunderstand the standards, not follow them or cut corners. This is the value of certification. It ensures that your product actually meets the standards.

ANT+ Product Certification

Regarding interoperability:

The ANT+ Alliance is an open special interest group of companies who have adopted the ANT+ promise of interoperability. The Alliance ensures standardized communications through optimized brand value and partnerships with other top tier products. ANT, ANT+ and the ANT+ Alliance are all managed by the ANT Wireless division of Garmin Canada Inc.

Read More...
Bluetooth has similar programs but it is administered through the Bluetooth Special Interest Group which has something like 35,000 members.

Anyway, yes, academic for the purpose of this thread. I find the politics and economics of it interesting though. The fact that ANT+ is ultimately owned by Garmin explains why Polar only supported Bluetooth until recently.

Back on topic, some of the DC Rainmaker comments about the Wahoo leave me wondering if I shouldn't try the Garmin 830 first.

-Tim-