Old 03-29-20, 11:53 PM
squidfig

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Speester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Restoring a '77 Schwinn Speedster and I need help!

Hi there! I inherited my grandfather's bike a few months back and I finally have time to try to restore it. My uncle was sort of helping me but with the social distancing/quarantining and him still working we don't have time for a phone call even so I'm turning to the internet for some quick answers and general advice on how to proceed. I will take any and all wisdom on this journey. It's pretty rusted and not in very good care before I brought it home it had been sitting outside for at least 2 years, it's not a complete disaster but I have to change the brake cables and go hard on the rust removal and paint, just a general overhaul I can probably just figure a lot of this stuff out but it doesn't hurt to ask someone who has been through it!

I need some tips and advice on the following
  1. Recommendations for new tires (I personally think they look okay for the time being so that's gonna be a later project but while I'm here I'll ask)
  2. I have a paint that looks close enough to the original; Rusteolem enamel is that gonna be a good/reliable paint?
  3. Decals! (where if possible can I find them or suggestions on making them myself! I can't find anything so far