Old 03-25-19, 07:12 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
I am planning a ride that includes the French Alps on roads with tunnels. I normally use just running lights. But, I've purchased a very bright headlight for use in the tunnels.This is the one I bought: https://cycletorch.com/product/shark...light-set.aspx

When I ride around San Francisco, where I live, I like to use a blinking headlight to increase my visibility. The Shark 500 is many times brighter than my current front light and I wonder if it is a good idea to use the Shark 500 (mostly to test it) as a blinking light on my training rides. My concern is that it is so bright that it might cause problems to/complaints from people coming toward me who have to see this extremely bright light as they approach. I know I don't like it when I have to ride toward them!

500 lumens is about the minimum I'd want to use. 1000 lumens or more is better for me.

Usage:
Daytime: blinking, pointed straight ahead. Blinks are usually "high" lumens, but very short duration. The battery lasts a long time. The flashes catch driver's attention even at noon sunlight.

Sunrise / sunset: blinking if the sun hasn't set yet. This time of day is when I really want the blinking -- drivers can get glare from the setting sun.

City streets at night: I use "high" most of the time. There are darker areas between street lights, bright car headlights, and well-lit areas.

Dark country roads: I'd probably use the half power 250 lumens setting for a slower cruising speed, then go to full power on faster sections. (500 lumens isn't enough to go full speed on downhills.) My eyes adapt to the darker conditions.

Other drivers or riders:
Aim the light downward more if it's practical.

Tunnels: take off your sunglasses!!