View Single Post
Old 03-10-18, 08:42 PM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fast4 50
I was doing leg speed on the rollers this morning and was thinking about cadence goals/standards/handicaps by age and came up with this formula:

225 - racing age = cadence for your age

Thoughts? Competing formulas or maybe you've read something somewhere. This is for fun, nothing scientific, just something to think about in between efforts on the rollers.
I don't think leg speed numbers mean a lot outside of maybe Goldsprint races. I think being able to hit high rpm on rollers is more of a parlor trick. They are important to me when training to relax.

I'll trade these numbers for faster times on the track any day:

I'm 64 this year, was off the bike and a couch potato for over 35 years, and took up the sport again 14 months ago.

With 172.5 cranks. I work out on a old wind trainer and can do 230 for 5 seconds in a very low gear. A few weeks ago I recorded 194 @ a peak of 485 watts, and averaged 169 for 30 seconds at 355 watts. Those low-load numbers (230 for 5 seconds) aren't much different than they were when I was a kid. It only took a couple of weeks of drills to do that.

I think relaxation drills help me a lot, and that is why I do the drills. Again, those numbers are meaningless until I can translate them into speed on the track.

Relaxation work is something I picked up years ago as a college track and field sprinter. Here is an article on it:

The Skill of Relaxation

And if you find this interesting, this is an outstanding book on the subject:

Relax and Win

Rick

Last edited by rickbuddy_72; 03-10-18 at 09:03 PM.