Old 02-04-19, 05:37 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Have you ever seen one in person or ridden one?
Semi-recumbent tandems like the Hase Pino ($4k and above) or Performer Family Tandem ($1600) are better than traditional tandems because both the captain and stoker have full view of scenery, traditional tandem on allow the stoker to stare into the back of the captain.
Semi-recumbent tandems are likely more compact, weigh less, take up less storage room, easier to transport than regular tandem.
Stigmatization occur only when people don't know the advantages of semi-recumbent tandems over regular tandems, similarly regular bicycle vs recumbent bicycle in general.
If you have never tried one, claims you made about them are just speculation.
?? I've admitted to having no actual basis for my bias. Your use of "likely this or likely that" similarly show a bias uninformed by actual experience. And that's cool. But even without riding one I can assure you a semi-recumbent will not weigh any less or take up any less room than a full size standard tandem nor will it be any easier to transport. The Stoker having an unobstructed view is absolutely the main unarguable selling point. My Stoker being blind makes that less of a plus, but my observation that what is good for the goose (Stoker) is good for the gander (Captain) is pretty hard to argue with. After around 35 to 40 miles both my and my Stokers saddle to taint interfaces are pretty done in. Our legs and CV system are good for an unknown number more of miles. The recumbent seating position affords the promise of a pain free Century (100 miles) since when you are reclined at 25* your weight gets distributed more evenly across your back and bottom vs just your bottom alone.