Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It won't hurt. This was done sometimes. Obviously (or not) the WD40 will dissolve out the grease from your BB and headset, at least if you have the old school non-sealed type. So either remove you BB and headset bearings before you do this, or repack afterwards. It might last a year or a little more I think.

I usually use LPS3 to spray inside frames, cuz I have some already. It leaves a waxy coating that will last a long time. Boeshield or Framesaver I'm sure work fine too.

Sort of related C&V trivia: WD40 was commonly used to clean bikes in the era before sealed bearings. Cleaning a frame with any sort of water was considered a big no no.

Huh? Water? My bikes are still C&V... sealed bearings (at least the early versions, were less than perfectly sealed, in my experience). I have my gallon jug of WD40 right under the sink. I know that contemporary riders/wrenches scoff at it, mostly solvents, poor lubricating qualities, etc. But quickly wiping down my bike , after rain rides, stopped things from rusting, a quick final pass done with a "clean" towel. (with a bit of residual WD40) prevented any significant accumulation of dust or dirt.

*I have a fancy bottle of chain lube that costs just a little less, per ounce, than Chanel no. 5. Seems like good stuff, though neither one smells as good as WD40.

Once a year, sprayed in the tubes. Worked for me.
Likes For Last ride 76: