Old 10-10-19, 10:00 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Right. Like I said, I already have an LED lamp from B&M, and it's not good enough -- but it's one of the lower-end models (25 lux). My question is whether there's any point in buying one of the higher-end B&M lights (say, the IQ-X, rated at 100 lux), or whether the limited current output from the vintage hub simply won't do the job.
I have the same experience and the same question. As @nlerner mentioned, I have done quite a few experiments with these hubs running LED lights I assembled myself. But this was a dozen years ago, and at that time, my home-made lights seemed to be as good as anything I could buy. But LED lights have come a long way since I started making my own.

My Armstrong bike has a GH6 hub and rather weak modern LED lamp. I don't remember what it is, 30 or 40 lux, and it's not really enough. I have much better lights on other bikes but haven't tried them with the SA.

My suggestion would be: you need a better light regardless whether your SA hub can power it or not. So get a better light. I like the B&M cyo premium 80 lux model, but I don't think it matters as long as you get something good. I can't promise it will be as bright when powered by an GH6 as it would be when powered by a modern hub, but I'm sure it will be brighter than what you have now. If it's still too weak with the GH6, then you can consider upgrading the hub (but I hope it doesn't come to that) or using the more powerful light on a different bike (with a modern hub).

Last edited by rhm; 10-10-19 at 10:03 AM.