View Single Post
Old 05-20-19, 07:44 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
They’ll likely perform the same as a set of mafac or any other centerpull using brazed on posts. Since they are directly based on mafac. Which isn’t a huge amount better than center bolt mounted ones, just lacking the annoyance of keeping them properly ‘centered’. I’ve never tried the compass model but I’ve held and handled a set. They don’t seem any different from a set of mafac’s beyond better fit and finish. Same goes for the grand bois centerpulls. The only set I’ve personally used, that seemed ‘different’ was the gran compe gc450’s. Not ‘better’, just different. Likely because they are smaller, a little more ‘aero’ and utilise a single piece spring. Although they can be converted to post mount. They’re all 1:1, and they’re all going to exhibit similar flex, which can be reduced with post mounted setup. This means most centerpulls, especially if they are of the typical ‘mafac’ design, will perform roughly equally. Not taking into account, your cable setup and brake pad choice of course. My personal opinion is that for the money, you’re really only getting that better fit and finish. It won’t get you better performance. If it were my money, I’d sooner buy their (overpriced, but well made) replacement hardware kit, and refurbish a set of mafac’s.
Likes For seamuis: