FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Free Weight Training & Cycling/Running

+++++I HOPE THE MOD WILL PICK THIS UP AND DELETE OR LOCK THIS POST OR STICKY WHATEVER. I HAVE GONE THE ROUTE OF A VERY DEEP MEDICAL ACCESSMENT, AND I DO HAVE A VERY DEADLY DISEASE I AM NOW DEALING WITH IN HOSPITAL FULL-TIME, TEAM OF DOCTORS. IF ANYTHING, THE FREE WEIGHT TRAINING BROUGHT THE SYMPTOMS TO THE SURFACE AND STARTED A IMPORTANT INVESTIGATIVE ROUTE. SO, NOTHING BUT LOVE TO PEOPLE DOING THIS TRAINING, AND THANKS FOR THE SUPPORTIVE MESSAGES HERE.++++++++

As a fairly avid runner and cyclist I decided to engage a coach and schedule regular weight training sessions, work on the correct compound movement techniques and get competent in pushing iron around the gym.

The results have been fairly disastrous, but I think it is more a cautionary tale for us older folks. Perhaps it is the interference effect, perhaps it's just this old body can't adjust to mechanics of managing heavy weight training, perhaps the recovery phase necessary at my age is just impractical for my schedule. But I've been hobbling around for months, my running and cycling are for crap, I am always sore or medicating for some torn little chest or shoulder muscle or a screaming quad muscle - blah, blah, blah.

On the positive side, I have sure learned a lot. I had no idea just how technical these exercises are if done correctly. It's like for a simple bench press there are a half of dozen techniques to master if you want to optimize the movement safely.

My PSA is for us medicare years cyclists, think twice before jumping into the weight training thing with any zeal. It is a major shock to the system, nothing like doing some push-ups, P90x or burpees on off days. It's made the second half of 2019 my worst season over the last five years - a real throw-away.

Off the soapbox.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 11-21-19 at 03:42 PM.