Old 04-05-12, 03:27 AM
jaredcasper

Bikes: Argon 18 Krypton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uncreative
So I'm a total newb when it comes to road racing, but everything i've read says that what's described is exactly what a team should do, and should be expected to do, if they have a guy or 2 in a break up the road. here's a link for example: http://www.roble.net/marquis/tactics

is this not the case?
I'm a total newb as well so take this for what its worth, but it is my understanding that Jancouver is trying to say (a midst all his bravado) that the overall strategy employed, namely putting a guy or two in the break and not chasing it hoping the break will succeed, was not a good strategy to win this particular race given the presence of this Thurlow character. He is claiming that the best strategy to win the race would have been to keep it together for a bunch sprint and use numbers in the sprint to beat Thurlow. In this case, you want to get a teammate in any breaks not to help it succeed but to actively try to make it fail as quickly as possible, by not pulling etc., so teammates chasing can spend less energy to bring things together quicker (and of course, to be there just in case it does succeed). If Thurlow goes (like it sounds like he did), you put your strongest guy to suck his wheel to the finish line in case you can't bring him back for the bunch sprint. (Edit: I'm not saying that is indeed the best strategy, I have no idea, I'm just trying to recount what I understand Jancouver to be saying)

In other words, I don't think he saying that if you are trying to win out of a break, you should still have your teammates working in the field to help pull it back; rather that they shouldn't have been trying to win out of a break in the first place.

Sorry if I put words in your mouth Jancouver, I just thought maybe somebody else explaining that might help? (You do come across to an outsider as one who is talking smack because they can't hang)

Last edited by jaredcasper; 04-05-12 at 03:33 AM.