no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by byrd48
If you sign up with RideWithGPS.com, they have an app. It works for what you want. And in my case, I don't have a mobile data plan, so I just use the gps with the app to track my ride and look at it afterwards. But if you do have mobile data, which most folks do, you can look at the map in real time. I would also download GPS CoPilot which allows you to download a map to your phone of the entire US or regions. This allows me to see where I am on the map without having mobile data, just with my gps turned on. I'm really not into looking at electronics while riding. I use RideWithGPS to track my ride for upload later, and GPS Copilot to pull out if I get lost and need to look at the map.
MapMyRide and OsmAnd Offline are alternatives to the apps mentioned- I have OsmAnd and just used MapMyWalk today for the first time. I have a Nexus 7 with Kit Kat and I just launch whatever app at my start point, shove it into a bag or pocket, and then pull it out at my destination- I don't even bother trying to keep an eye on the screen while underway.

Last edited by no1mad; 04-30-14 at 10:16 PM. Reason: tmi