Old 01-07-15, 09:51 AM
island rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
the nosecone shiv only proved to be more aero than the UCI-legal shiv TT at yaw > 7*. it is slightly slower than the shiv TT between 0 & 7.

the newer model shiv (tri) was designed to allow triathletes to store more $hit in their frame rather than hanging off of it, as well as to be easier to work on and to fit more people (it's a much taller frame vs the shiv tt long & low, so it appeals to a lower common denominator). it's slower than the shiv TT from 0-7 and slower than the nosecone shiv >10. they viewed it as a win because it added features that many customers wanted while doing a pretty good job with aerodynamics. the UCI-legal thing doesn't matter to a large set of customers.

for a rider actually doing TTs (not ironman triathlons @ 20mph), >10 yaw -- even >7* yaw -- is not all that common. (yes, yes, there are examples to the contrary, but a rider going 27, 28, 30mph needs to experience pretty high winds at actual ground speeds, which is not as common as we tend to think.
I've just got TT bike money set aside and burning a hole in my pocket. I just sold my last one and need a replacement. I have no vested interest in going with one versus another so I'm looking for reasons.