Old 02-25-18, 11:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Yes, our present era where a bike designed to take up to 2.4" (61mm) tires is most definitely not a 'road bike'.
I checked put of this thread after seeing that a single spec, 73mm BB, apparently keeps a bike from being called a road bike.
That is so laugable that i figured it wasnt worth continuing the discussion.
But then look- the thread continued and has played out as i figured- some recognize that lines are blurred, and some can only conceptualize a paved racing road bike as being a 'road bike'.

Gravel roads are roads. If i bought this bike and used it to ride paved roads to gravel roads, its a road bike.
If i bought this bike so i could drive to graevl roads and ridw it, its a road bike.
Tire clearance be damned. Bottom bracket size be damned.

Something that has drop bars, STI/brifters, and is ridde on roads can be a road bike.

My gravel bike(call it an adventure bike, monstercross, or gravel bike, i dont care) can clear 50mm tires. It has a 68mm botton bracket though. Its seriously similar to this AllCity in style, but has a 68mm BB so its a different category according to you and others in this thread.
Thats absurd.
I can put 50mm tires on it, it has an 11sp Shimano road drivettain, flared drop bars, and is absolutely a road bike.
Call it an alt road bike if you feel it necessary to categorize it differently that a paved road race bike.

I posted this yesterday in another thread- i love these forums, they never stop delivering.

Oh- and a touring bike istcan be a road bike. My touring bike has been ridden 96% on paved roads. It has drop bars, 68mm BB, and...oh gasp- a Deore rear derailleur! But its a road bike?! Mindblow, i know.