Old 09-06-18, 10:14 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I have a 700c LHT of around the same time period and I regularly ride it at 18mph averages. Even did a century with it at 18mph (breaks included, which there were four of). Though there were groups me and my friend tagged along with at times, but were just us two sharing pulls at 21mph. It's not like the bike is inherently slow since that depends on bearings, aerodynamics, drivetrain, tires and all that. My LHT in road configuration has schwalbe g-one allrounds at 40mm (those are some seriously fast tires, I'll tell you), Sram 1x11 road configuration, EXTREMELY long riding position which is subsequently also pretty dang aerodynamic, and pretty standard bearings. Though after that ride I did notice all of the bearings in my Hope Mono RS rear hub were pretty spent AND one bearing was actually cracked, so that may have slowed me down some. Shows that even cartridge bearings should be looked at at times. These were three years and at least 8k touring miles old. And the LHT is also my commuter so there's that too
Pretty fast esp with the semi-wide tires, but after all the "sluggish" Trucker geometry is a lot like old-time racing bikes.

Originally Posted by brushspin
Alright chaps I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Disc Trucker in Brilliant Blue 54cm frameset 26" wheel. I'll be getting it on Monday so expect pictures soon. Going to research the parts that will go into this bike for the next week.
Nice, Trucker is so versatile with the various components & accessories that can be fitted, kinda fun to see folks' different setups.