Old 10-23-18, 11:32 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
The good:
Dropped 27 pounds, rode about 2k miles, can now spin up a hill that previously required a mid-way stop and "barely stay upright" cadence. Feel like I got into great shape.

The bad:
Wrecked once and had to replace wheelset as a result. Haven't spent even more hours/miles on the bike. Weather is turning cold, and I'm spending more time in the gym, less on the bike (but still do weekend rides, though more like 25 miles instead of 40-60). Still get passed sometimes. Still struggle on the 8-mile 4300ft climb near my home. Family needs prevented my riding in the Tour of St George, so no century this year.

The ugly:
Anticipating 4-5 evenings each week in the gym for the next five months, before the weather gets warm enough to resume night rides, which is my typical weeknight riding time.

The plan:
4-6h of cardio each week in the gym, plus 2h of weights (mostly legs and core, but a little upper body to maintain fitness). Skiing every other week. Hopefully in the spring I won't have lost too much of what I worked for this year, and will be able to get up Little Cottonwood Canyon without having a meltdown next year.

On the side:
I'm thinking I'll swap out my Shimano 105 50/39/30:11-28 drivetrain with Shimano Ultegra 50/34:11-32 as a winter wrenching project.