Thread: Strong Wheels
View Single Post
Old 05-09-19, 12:11 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
You are right, at 244 pounds, wheels are the last thing related to performance you should be concerned about.

I would feel safe on nothing less than 32 spokes rear, 28 spoke front minimum on a quality (read 550+ gram, double wall) rim If I were to go with other than Velocity.

R460 rims are good light rims, but You are going to be asking for an awful lot out of them IMO. Is there an actual weight rating on them? I don't know. What I do know is the ones I have come across all had worn out brake tracks & were all ridden by <150 pound riders. But that is my limited experience with a small handful of rims.

Velocity churns out good durable & strong rims. Check out the 24 to 32 spoke Dyads &/or A23's. If you have the coin, they are marketing Quill's now, too. Same profile, but slightly different extrusion for lighter weight & added stiffness. They say they are suitable for CX so maybe they're on to something?

Last edited by base2; 05-09-19 at 12:23 PM.