Old 06-13-19, 10:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you haven't already done so, try a Lycra fabric covered saddle. Serfas makes these in various styles. I have an older Terry woman's road bike saddle with Lycra over dense foam in the style of a Selle Turbo saddle but with shorter nose; and a Bell comfort hybrid saddle with Lycra over thick but springy foam. Both are very comfortable in hot, sweaty summers, although I no longer use the Terry saddle because the nose was too short -- I tend to ride the nose for some situations and prefer the longer Selle Italia styles.

An alternative would be saddles with larger cutouts for perineum relief. A couple of cycling friends ride Infinity full cutout saddles, but say they aren't necessarily more comfortable. It's a fairly radical saddle, with no support for the sit bones, yet still has support in the perineum area. Seems like a clever solution to a non-existent problem, at least for me. I don't get sore spots on my ischial tuberosities, so cutting out that support wouldn't solve any problems I have. I'd rather have the perineum relief cutouts.

Try padded shorts, or a different brand. I'd suggest the Przewalski shorts or bibs with 3D pads on Amazon, only $15-$25. Outstanding values. The pads are unlike anything else I've tried -- thick, dense, resilient, with excellent wicking but never feel soggy. The surface feels unusually smooth with dimples like a golf ball. I prefer these shorts on my road bike with a firm saddle that has little padding.

If you prefer little or no padding, try Aero Tech Pro with their thin microfiber black and tan pads. It's about as thick as a terrycloth washcloth, yet comfortable. I wear these on one of my road bikes with a thicker padded saddle and more flexible shell.

I use hydrogen peroxide on my shorts pads, then handwash with long soaks in Tide Ultra Stain Release liquid. It's extremely concentrated and a little goes a long way, so it's worth the extra money. A long soak of 20-60 minutes gives the enzymes plenty of time to work, which is the real key to getting fabrics as clean as possible.

BTW, unless you can afford a good dermatologist it can be hard to pinpoint the causes for these problems. I have occasional breakouts from psoriasis and tinea cruris. Lidex gel and miconazole ointments help.

Depending on the location of the sore, it may be possible to combine a non-stick sterile pad with something like Moleskin pads to minimize abrasion and retain the skin medication longer. Alternatively, some folks use Moleskin type pads with cutouts, so the pads don't actually contact the sore spot, but offer a little peripheral padding to relief pressure.
Likes For canklecat: