View Single Post
Old 11-30-06, 06:54 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:
Please tell us your age.

I'm 55.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
I started with a comfort bike, then a hyrdid (which I still have, a cannodale) and then wanted a road bike, but my back doesn't really allow for it. So I got a Lemond Wayzata, which is a road bike with flat handlebars, and this summer, I got an INdependent Fabrication built that's much like the Le Mond.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I take glucosomine, which may or may not actually do anything, and a daily vitimin that I don't really belive in. But it makes my doctor happy.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
In most ways, except when it comes to riding, I'm more active than I've been at many things in my life.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Although I've ridden at various other times in my life, for all practical purpsoes I took it up seven years ago. And have gone over 31,000 miles since.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
I commute, as much as possible, and go on short to medium length rides, 20 to 40 miles, generally.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
I put on about 4500 miles a year, despite each year, lately, missing some large chunks of time for various health and professional reasons. I try to ride every day, which I don't do, but I do ride more days than I don't.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Not really. Weirdly, I have a lot of back and knee problems that prevent some things, but generally don't interfer with riding a bike.