Old 09-12-19, 11:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I don't wear my ring when riding any more after almost losing it. I've lost a bit of weight since I got married so it can be a little loose on my finger, especially at the end of a ride where I've been sweating. For a while I had a chain that I would put it on, but then the chain broke so I was just wearing it like normal on rides.

A couple years ago I got home from a ride and my ring was missing. I tore the house apart looking for it, because I couldn't remember if I'd been wearing it on the ride or not. I absolutely could not find it.

The next morning I was thinking about it and I remembered that, about a mile from my house, I had been shaking my hand after wiping my nose following a somewhat unsuccessful snot rocket. On a hunch I went back to that street near my house and walked up and down the street for a few minutes, without much hope. I didn't see anything, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I'd lost my ring and started walking back to the car.

At the last second I happened to glance down and there was my ring, sitting there in the middle of the street. It had been there all night, evidently.

So now I make sure I take my ring off when I ride.

Interestingly, throughout this whole ordeal, my wife was a lot more calm and pragmatic about it than I was. At least, I hope it was pragmatism and not apathy.
Nice. I've lost my ring a couple times in my 15 years of marriage.

Once, it was gone for more than a year. I had long given up hope of finding it when I felt it in the antiquated little watch pocket of the jeans that I was wearing. It was then that I remembered "discovering" those pockets, thought that they'd be a nice, secure place to temporarily stash my ring, and then promptly forgot all about it.

The other time, it spent months on a nail that was pounded in to an outside panel of one of the cupboards, just around the corner and out of our typical line-of-sight. As with the pocket incident, I had taken the ring off (presumably while cooking), stashed it someplace safe and forgot about it. Since finding it, the nail has become referred to as the "Ring Nail" and both my wife and I use it for our rings when we're cooking or cleaning in the kitchen.