View Single Post
Old 02-29-20, 01:41 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Some of the evolutions through the ages, but I don't know enough to show a chronology:

On my 1980 Masi the brakes were what we would now call medium reach, in the 50 mm range. The bike also had Clement 30 mm hand-made tubulars, so the reach was needed on that frame. I can't say it was standard for California Masis. They were secured with external hex nuts. The pivots were secured with acorn nuts, 10 mm wrench (I think!). The QR lever tabs were pressed into a rounded shape. The earlier ones (early/mid '70s) were, I believe, a flat blade. This could have been a CPSC feature. Several years later (mid '80s) bikes in shops had similar calipers, but shorter reach and with the recessed Allen hex nuts. I don't know when the tire guides on the brake pad holders came or went. My Masi certainly has non-drilled levers.
Hmm, that's interesting. It's a bit late for medium reach, but it was still somewhat in the transitional time. Maybe it was a custom spec. My 78 California Masi has short reach brakes. Despite that it still has enough room for 28mm tires no problem. Probably 30mm tubulars would fit, I think. Those fat Clements were still a thing when I got the bike. It was a special edition made from Columbus instead of 531 though, maybe that had something to do with it.

Yeah, the bulged QR levers were a CPSC feature.

I agree that correct use of correct ferrules is imperative. I actually can feel the difference between 1.6 and 1.8 cables. Tried it once. Current cables are still in fine shape so I'll keep those as long as possible. I don't think there was anything magical about the vintage campy housing. Like most people I swapped it out pretty quickly because I didn't want gray. The old Masi isn't currently being ridden anyway. I have to send it to Ed Litton or someone for a repair at some point.