Old 05-15-19, 01:46 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
I appreciate the perspective! What I'm curious about is how different can I get the bike to ride at with a swap of wheels/tires. Right now I see my bike as great for two different things. I have a set of 28's for road rides and hanging onto the group and a set of 40 Ramblers for 30/70 road/dirt riding. I'm very curious what else the bike could be or feel like. 650b is obviously a big change I can make, but first I'd like to try out another 700c tire. I'm thinking very large slicks might be something new but I have no experience running wide slicks.

I have the same tires and use them the same as you.

In addition:
I tried a 54mm Thunder burt (up front Rambler rear) and the bike road like a monster truck, like a mountain bike. I think it is the tread profile, weight, and the more squared off edge that made it feel so clumsy, burly.
I tried a 50mm Furious fred up front - it handled/rode like a road tire, slick Very different from the TB. It rode like a big rambler - light, fast, good cornering - but I could run ~10psi lower pressure, so more cush more flotation. no real downside compared to 40mm ramblers

FYI, they just introduced a 45mm rambler if you like those.