View Single Post
Old 10-01-17, 10:29 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
October 2017 Piru 20K ITT, W3/4/5, 3rd of 4, PR by 3 seconds

We had great conditions for our TT today, temps in the 70s and sunny. Wind was forecast to be 3-4 mph in the typical headwind out/tailwind back direction but it kicked up quite a bit and built to perhaps 7-10 mph while we were out on the course.

I changed from my narrowest arm position to a very slightly more elbow out position a few weeks ago, for no good reason. Was fiddling around with position during aerotesting, drew no conclusion from our test, but never moved the elbow pads back in. During workouts, it didn't seem much different that the narrowest position I had been riding, maybe a little more comfortable (or maybe I'm just adapting to the new narrow position).

Anyway, my goal today was to ride my TT at X watts, which would be a power PR for me in this position and I figured would garner me a significant time PR. I hit my target exactly and overall raced well, I think, a few little picky things but basically did well with my splits. And I did PR it but the time seemed slow for that power. We'll go over the bike to see if there's anything amiss but otherwise, I guess a PR is a PR, progress.

There were some new women out at the TT- one triathlete who raced a non-licensed class but is the real deal and put up a good time for her first TT. She can't really run anymore on account of a foot injury, so she's going to give TTing a whirl. Was unaware of the SoCal series (today was the first of 8 races) but seems legit interested.

The four women in my class were all people I have come to know from racing. Nemesis of course, it was good to see her and of course she won. Also a woman who rides with a TT-oriented club down in the OC, took up TTing last May and promptly won her age group at the State Championship. Spin instructor and a very good natural TTist. She came in second and that irked me. (Even though I like her and we are talking about going mtb-ing next weekend, lol.) I guess I'm just going to have to up my game. But it should be an interesting season, if we really can get triathlete to show up and there's four of us who are actual contenders...

Saw @Cleave today too, which is always a treat. Maybe he will chime in and tell us about his race.

Then I went mountain biking. Crazy 5 mile singletrack climb, 1800 ft, with a fun descent. Then margarita and a couple of enchiladas.

I am now very tired.

Edited to add: they finally got the times posted.
Newby was 36 seconds behind Nemesis, that is pretty darn impressive!

Last edited by Heathpack; 10-02-17 at 11:17 AM.