TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,642 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Hair styles during shutdown...I am thinking one of the Game of Throne men. Either Jamie Lannister or Khul Drago.

I went to check out Fiesta Island. The gate is across the road and there was police there at the time. The officer said Fiesta was closed to bikes but open to pedestrians. I walked over and it reminded me of scene from Madmaxx. People wondering around with loose dogs everywhere. When I got back to the gate, the police were gone and cyclists were going onto the island.

I made a trip to Whole Foods. They have one entrance and tape on the sidewalk 6 feet apart. I lined up in my space and it took about 3 minutes to get into the store. At the entrance, they offer non latex gloves. I took a pair...why not.

Shelves were okay but depleted but the fresh fruits and vegetables were in ample supply. Checkout is done buy lining customers up in an aisle six feet apart. One is then directed to a checkout. I disposed of my gloves in a container at the door. These guys are doing a better job of infection control than some hospitals.
I wanted to ride my TT bike out there this morning, but headed out on the road bike as I figured it would be closed, which it was. Did some work on Soledad instead. I figure doing solo intervals and not-stopping is reasonably safe social distancing, but I realize they can't make exemptions and the multitude of people taking walks together and/or congregating at the dog park just ruins it for the rest of us.

RE: riding outside... Def. feeling conflicted over this one. I understand gsteinb 's stance which is echoed by many in the local community here as well. I'm finding it peaceful and doing things I can to minimize risk, like coasting and riding the brakes downhill. I do realize that some level of accidents are our of your control and I would feel like a total asshat if I needed medical attention right now due to me choosing to ride outside. Maybe now is the time to invest in a better indoor setup...

I had planned on getting a smart trainer late in the year when my fiancee and I started family planning, but with our wedding delayed that may be a bit delayed too... Not sure what we're going to do there. If it's a 6 month delay - fine, we'll wait and would prefer to party (read: her not being pregnant) during our wedding celebration and honeymoon. If we have to wait a year? Nope, the show must go on, not interested in waiting that long to start our family, marriage and future together. I'll be 34 in November and she's only a year behind, and neither of us are getting any younger.

It's a weird time, and a tough time for me. Work seems to be going OK, but with social distancing measures, split shifts and partial remote work it's a bit in upheaval. Cycling (well, racing) is postponed indefinitely, and with our wedding (5/9) postponed my medium-term plans are all out of whack, which means more anxiety for me - I'm a type A or OCD planner type. Fortunately we do have each other and we are still gainfully employed, which is more than what a lot of individuals can say right now.

Stay safe!
Likes For TMonk: