Old 01-29-14, 12:22 PM
combatdecoy
Greenhorn

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best trailer for touring (carrying music gear)

Hey guys, I'm in the process of planning a tour from the twin cities to Chicago where I play gigs at various
towns along the way.. I've biked to local gigs before with a crappy trailer and my PA system suffered some damage in the process.
On this trip, I'd most likely be carrying two guitars and a pedal board, in addition to all the regular touring/camping gear. I've already been touring for the last 8 years so I've got a good system in that respect. The main difference is that I'd obviously be towing a trailer, which I've not done outside of 20 mile stretches.
I'm wondering if a burley cargo trailer would do it? The surly trailers are awesome but too expensive and heavy. I've got some guys here who've welded things for me before(they make beautiful snowmobile trailers) and they think they could do a powder coated steel smaller copy of the Surly Ted trailer if I would get the hitch. I'm pretty sure a b.o.b. won't fit both guitars. I've got to check dimensions to be sure. Also I've a Surly LHT and a Salsa Fargo and I'm not sure which one I'll be riding yet. I'm thinking the Surly because of the amount of pavement vs gravel/trails. Still on the fence.
Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Take care
Mark