Old 12-08-18, 06:03 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Multi-Surface Tire Pressure for Heavy Rider

So idk if this belongs here or in the Clyde forums but here we go:

It's winter time, there's snow and ice on the ground, and I question whether my tire pressure is too high or too low even more than I already did every other time throughout the year. Granted now I have a bike running 700c x 45mm WTB Riddlers for more fast riding, and 700c x 50mm Clement MSOs for more casual riding, and I just got the Riddlers yesterday and decided to test them in the snow to see how I get on, with some less than ideal results.

So here's the deal: I weigh about 360-370lbs with my riding gear on and my bike (Giant Toughroad) is probably in the mid 20's in lbs if I had to guess. I'd primarily run the 50mm tires when riding on pavement (not by choice, just what is available) at 40psi front/ 45psi rear and coming from running 42mm Sawtooth tires I set my Riddlers to 50/55psi F/R, and both sets are tubeless. I usually always feel comfortable on the 50mm tires at that pressure, however I can't ever seem to work out a good pressure for my slightly narrower tires that doesn't leave me with anxiety about burping or pinch flats.

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions/reassurance regarding my situation. My goal is to have my Riddlers be my fast yet still comfortable and stable wheelset and my MSOs to be the casual, comfortable, yet capable wheelset. I don't know if trying lower pressures at my weight would still be safe for my wheels/tires even.

Last edited by DarKris; 12-09-18 at 02:57 PM.