Old 07-23-19, 08:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by NachosGrande
I have not purchased the TT frame set yet. It is the Diamondback Serios Team Carbon Time Trial Frameset. I'm not worried about the brakes. I'll be riding in tight/close lines with a group. The frame should allow at the least 23mm tires with 700c wheels
So you're asking about a bike you have zero experience with and wonder if it's "performance" in an event that's not what it is intended to excel at is a good idea.

To flesh out my initial questions- The bike's handling at speed on decents, in a group/pace line or over rough pave is unknown. You never have had the bike up to speed, or for that mater at slow honking hill climbing pace either. Many have already mentioned the concern about braking. Even with non "aero specific" brakes the cable routing of TT bikes can be problematic. You will be pace lining/group riding on a bike designed around the lack of this handling agility. This isn't about only the handling geometry but also the fit/ergonomics. The tire clearances for a TT bike are generally very minimal because TT courses are not chosen for their rough pavement. You have far more traction with the tires staying on the road's surface and this means reasonable tire pressures, which leads to tire widths being reasonable.

Last aspect I didn't comet on was the weight one. The differences between a TT and a similarly set up road bike are only a pound or two. Did you pee before the event? Better not eat too much the day before How you handle the flow of the event is vastly more a determinate the a couple pounds of weight. Andy