Old 10-04-19, 10:25 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by cqlink
For those counting...

Brake and derailleur cables and housings: $32.00 shipped
Cinelli 1A 120mm stem shipped: $30
Cinelli 1A 90mm stem shipped: $20

Total: $820.00

Per above, I'm fortunate to have friends owning a large welding facility. Got out of cost trouble with cigars and donuts!

Another lesson learned from this build and my Super Sport build. Cost of finishing items/ parts add up quickly especially if you're trying to establish a period correct look. Be patient when perusing parts. Eventually a Forum member here will help with parts and very reasonable prices.

As mentioned, I wanted a shorter reach stem but was impatient and grabbed the 120mm stem. No complaints but a day or two later, a fellow member had just what I was looking for, hence, two Cinelli stems in my collection.

Similar situation with the Campy seat post. Didn't want to wait and found one in eBay. Dirt covered a large number of scratches on the post. Can't be polished out with tools I have. EBay pictures and item description didn't detail the scratches. Bottom line: Wait for a member to help find good quality parts.
You could wet sand the seat post to clean it up and avoid removing much material. Lots of threads here about how folks polish their components to a high shine.

It's a mild justification of ebay browsing for cheap parts as a pastime. I've been able to build out a parts bin for "not much money," stuff I sort of expect to use "at a later date." But yes, watching the ticker on your bike gives me a tinge of anxiety because I am sure I'm in the red with all of my bikes. The fun of treasure hunting and tinkering is priceless, though, and there are far worse ways to spend money and time.
Likes For noobinsf: