Old 10-14-19, 03:20 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Impatience taking its toll.

Again! Bought a nice set of Dia Compe 960s to try to get her on the road before cold weather makes its stand here in Detroit only to be contacted by a member today with a nice set of vintage Mafac cantilevers.

960s: $33
Mafac set: $75
Mafac levers : $35
Neubaum padded cloth tape (they only sell one side): $30

Hopes dashed long ago to keep this under $800. Mistakes, impatience waiting for cheaper parts have now pushed this to $1033.

I'm guessing I can recoup some cost by selling the Campagnolo brake set purchased with the drivetrain and the 960 brake set, along with a few other parts picked up along the way.

One problem I have is when I get to the end of a build I don't like to wait to save $5.00 here or there. That $5-$10 adds up quickly though when you're looking for bits and pieces like chains, brake levers, good tape, decals, etc. As mentioned, I could have saved another $50, along with time/ effort had I not broken the RD cable housing guide. I had a nice Brooks B17 that would have likely added $60-$70 to the tally. Finally, I really didn't need the Campy high-flange hubs. That splurge set me back $ 75 and rebuild time. The Campy small flange wheelset I built looked great. I'm just like the high-flange look.

That said, "Tooooo bad." All parts should be here this weekend. Pics to follow.

Last edited by cqlink; 10-14-19 at 03:25 PM.