Old 12-19-19, 01:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
I'm interested in pushing my limit for low temperature but not so much for slippery surfaces. I wasn't sure if I should ride today since we got a dusting of snow last night. It was 19ºF when I got up, and that's pretty cold for the city, even in the coldest week of the year, usually the 2nd or 3rd week of January. So before leaving home, I took a short walking trip to the dry cleaner to asses the streets. They were good. So I bundled up much more than usual, including my ski helmet, work boots, and heavy mittens. I was slow because I was so bundled up, but it was just fine. It's a bright, sunny day with high air pressure. So today is another success so far.

There were far fewer bike commuters out today than normal but still some, and there are always delivery people. People were pretty sensibly dressed.

This evening, I'll be riding to Transportation Alternatives for a meeting. TransAlt, as it is known, is the big pedestrian/cyclist/mass transit advocacy organization. So that ride -- and the ride home -- might be new challenges, but I'm pretty confident.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.