Old 09-11-20, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have rim brakes and I use cinchers and have no need at all to go tubeless. Seems in looking for wheelsets with this combination is getting less available. My concern with tubeless rims is that I don't need them and would like replacing a spoke if need be to be easy. If the rim does not have traditional spoke holes it gets tedious to put spokes in. Most of the offerings now seem to focus on disc brake wheelsets and tubeless. I know rim brakes are not completely disappearing but getting new wheels may not be anything other than trying to keep the bike running. I can't imagine much effort is being put into this type of design. I don't want to spend a fortune I just run aluminum wheels and try and keep the price under $400. I like H and Son Archetype rims and Shimano Hubs. Now talk about plain...........but they roll smooth and I like Shimano silent hubs in the rear.

You have a setup you like- Archetype rims with Shimano hubs. Perfect- just use that combo moving forward.
I have an Archetype rim with 105 hubs wheelset, and another set that is Archetype rims with Bitex hubs. I like the look of the Archetype rim and it works just fine for me, so whats not to love?

As mentioned already, velomine has Archetype rims with Shimano hubs, though i doubt any are in stock right now.
Or build them yourself.
Or use prowheelbuilder.com to customize them.

At prowheelbuilder, you can get 32h Archetype black rims laced to Shimano 105 r7000 hubs, Sapim Laser double butted spokes, and Sapim brass nipples for $365(after 5% discount) plus shipping, so right at $400 shipped to you.
Handbuilt well, 1810-1850g weight, and right at your price range.