View Single Post
Old 02-03-21, 02:55 PM
shmily_dana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've noticed that since bicycle riders are harder to see, drivers don't see us when we do make legal stops. I'll make a full stop at an intersection. Then I start to move forward, see more traffic and hold. So now I might be 1 or 2 car lengths past the stop sign. I finally get a chance, so I move thru. Now a car approaching the intersection sees me moving, but never saw me stop and wait honks at me. They are still far from the intersection and they still have to make their stop. This has happened to me a couple of times.

I've also had the opposite happen. I was a few seconds from a 4-way stop. A car has just stopped in the perpendicular direction. I stop and since the traffic is light, I swap my empty and full water bottles. I hear the driver honk at me. I am surprised he is still there. He could have moved on before I even got to the intersection. Once I stopped and put both my feet down, it should have been clear he still had plenty of time to drive away.

Another one was a couple I saw walking at a different 4-way stop. I made a full and complete stop. The couple was not at the intersection when I started to move forward. By the time I got to the other side of the intersection, the couple got to the corner and walked into the street directly in front of me. The man said something I won't repeat here. I just wished them a good rest of their day and continued.