View Single Post
Old 09-23-08, 11:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
I can't speak from experience but I would be inclined to say no way you could powder coat over those decals and bake at 400 degrees. They are not made for that. Liquid should work fine.

I got one of his Columbus gold foil decals and it was OK when new but ink has worn off after about 1 1/2 years so it basically now looks like a gold foil rectangle with ink smudges. See my original post above with pictures and you'll notice that an original 35 year old Columbus decal still has all the graphics intact. The picture shows the CycloMondo foil decal when new. It does not look like that today.
The originals were silk screened, the replicas are printed, and on mylar foil, I would mask them and top coat them for durability, the inks are just not durable enough without coverage. Creating artwork on a flat surface as seen on an IMAGE of a transfer on a tube is hard work, there are ways to shorten the task, but they require the frame at the disposal of the designer.

I have some from Greg, with some custom (rare color combos) and he did a terrific job, I had to badger him to pay for the added time, so bought two sets just so if I botched one, I would not have to bug him again.

My suggestion on resources like this, be kind, the profit margins are thin until the numbers scale up, and you don't see the printer tests, and "outs" that often happen. And the foil substrate is super expensive compared to plain white.

Nit picking is fine, but be ready to support the work behind it with some cash, especially for the low volume brands.