Old 09-18-13, 01:40 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I was amazed to discover this new "gravel grinder" category. I used to take my cro-moly Trek Multitrack out on dirt/gravel roads back in 1995 so I know how fun it can be. I've still got one of those old Multitracks and I think it would be a terrific gravel grinder with it's MTB geometry. However, my main bike is shown here. I just got a set of Salsa Cowbell 3 handlebars and I just need to get some V-brake compatible brake levers and I'm going to start going for distance and I also plan to try out gravel grinding.

The old Trek 700 series framesets make great gravel grinders, that's what mine is. You can squeeze up to a 45mm tire on depending on the tread and brand. Schwalbe Smart Sam 40mm work great and give you enough clearance to shed a little mud and debris. They are extremely tough and comfortable framesets and can be had inexpensively. If you find a Trek 730 of about 1990 vintage, you have a treasure with the full cro-mo stays and fork. The 700s of that era had a cro-mo main triangle but hi-ten stays and fork.