View Single Post
Old 07-09-19, 07:22 AM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One time tested method is to remove the chain, place it in a 20 oz soda bottle half filled with mineral spirits or kerosene, cap and shake, snake out chain with a wire/spoke. Place chain in second bottle with solvent and repeat. Do this two to four times. Let chain drip dry overnight and lube when back on the bike. The grime suspended in the MS/kerosene will settle out and the clean can be largely poured off and reused.

Don't forget the power of transfer. All the teeth and pulley surfaces will also want cleaning (and these are FAR easier done with no chain in the way) or they will dirty the "clean" chain lickity split.

I'll use a cloth rag for when I need a strong wipe. Paper towels otherwise. Paper towels for the initial and dirtiest cleaning at the minimum.

The more often you do clean the chain (and that other stuff) the less grime each time will be trying to flush away.

BTW I never allow water to see my chains (excepting when I'm caught in the rain on a ride). Andy
Thanks for the detailed response! How often do you clean your chain like this?