Old 07-07-20, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I don’t see how this is relevant to the thread. The thread is discussing using road shifters/brake levers on flat bars and trigger shifters on drop bars, which I have never seen done before.
I have seen it but it doesn’t work all that well. The flat part of a road bar is generally too small for the length of even a small set of mountain bike brake levers to fit...the barrel adjusters run into each other, much less put a set of shifters in there too. There are several other issues as well. You can’t brake from the drops nor is there anything to hold onto on the hoods so you are even more limited in hand positions than with flat bars. The brake levers are also very, very close together which would cause the rider to ride with squeezed in arms and, likely, hunched back. Not terribly comfortable.

Road brake levers work a bit better on flat bars but the brake routing is funky. If you are trying to use aero levers, the brake cable makes a very tight turn at the bar (or just flaps around to catch on everything. You could use a integrated shifter but, again, the cable routing is funky.

Generally, shift and brake components work best on the bars they were designed for.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!