Old 08-21-20, 05:46 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I did some 50-75 mile rides this month in the heat to prepare, but I may have overtrained. My legs are dead this week, low energy, so I'm taking it very easy, trying to keep my heart rate and effort down, so hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the month. It's been a year, last August, since my last full century. Usually neck cramps keep me down to 50-75 miles. We'll see how it goes next week.

Meanwhile I've swapping components around on the Ironman. I just found a frayed cable on the right downtube shifter last night. While I'm replacing cables I think these date back to 2018), I'm gonna swap out the Suntour GPX for Shimano Light Action friction shifters and maybe a Shimano 600 Tricolor or other Shimano RD just for giggles. I also have a Dura Ace 7-speed downtube shifter set, but I'm not sure whether it's compatible with an 8-speed 600 Tricolor RD. Guess I could find out by trying it myself.
C-Cat, I feel you on the overdoing it esp in the heat. I've been mostly no work out this week but I'm excited about the challenge of the 100 mile ride so I feel I'm ready. Still not in shape the way RT is. Man, at my current fitness level completing a (1) century is challenging enough. Shout out to RT.
I had the light action on my '86 Panasonic bitd and it worked good. Seems to me the tricolor 600 8 speed RD should work fine with the 7 speed DA shifters however I have no actual experience with that setup.
Funny I was gonna pm you and see if you got the DA 8 speed shifter and RD on the CV sales thread. BTW, I still have your tricolor group...someday I'll get it to you. I may just have to make a special trip to Fort "party' Worth.