Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi Red Rider, how did it go at Dunnigan Hills? I think Racer Ex was there too. Rode that race back in the 1980s when it was the day after the Davis Criterium.
Funny you should ask.

It was even more miserable than the last time I rode it. If Ex was there he can attest to the heat & headwind. Maybe not; he had an earlier start. W4 was delayed by 20 min. Our 9:20 start time was more like 9:40.

My teammate went upfront and kept the speed down initially, but the first hill saw some action. I hung with the group for about 8.5 miles, when on the 2nd hill my 'mate and another lady attacked and the pack responded. By that time I realized that my feet had swollen and I was developing multiple hotspots on both feet, and that something about my favorite chamois was causing some very sensitive anatomy very serious discomfort. To relieve one pain aggravated the other. With that major distraction I wasn't able to produce the consistent energy to stay with them, so I let them go.

Passed 3 ladies, found one of equal speed + strength, and we worked together through the feed stations. We picked up another lady who had calf cramps; she ended up DNP. We forged on, found the mentor who rode with us to a lady who had just been dropped on a climb. The pack was more than 1/4 mi. ahead of us by that time. The 4 of us hit another climb and my issues took my attention away from my pacemaking, and bam! They were gone.

After crossing I-5 and turning right it's totally flat to the end of the race (save one more overpass). Moreover there's a tailwind. So I got busy and TTd my way to the end, my standard finish to this race. I caught the mentor and 2nd woman we picked up, attempted to work with her but she was gassed. Passed some P/1/2 men on their 2nd lap who were equally spent. No joy there, but still... Saw my new friend about 1/4 mile ahead of me and wasn't able to gain any ground. TT'd my way to 15th, crossing alone again, naturally (cue pop culture music reference), and was cheered my teammate's husband, who was waiting for us. Awesome.

So the Reader's Digest version: Focus, ride hard, ride harder, unexpected pain, ride harder, pain, ride, pain, ride, pain, etc. ad nauseum. And when I finished I had to lay down for a few minutes, feeling clammy in 100* after 43+ mi., 2 bottles of Nuun, 3 bottles of water, 2 Gu packets. All that for 15th.

My teammates, with whom I carpooled, brought beer. That Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra IPA brought me back to reality. Hops really is an adult recovery food.

My legs and mind were on it and had no issues. I nearly turned around 8 times between mi. 9 and 23 (the 1/2 way point) due to the intense, unrelenting pain. I kept forcing myself to race and work with my new friend, and once I hit the 1/2 way point there was no turning back.

My takeaway is that I need to ride at intensity more often. And maybe join the team race rides when I'm not selling houses. Which usually happens when I have a training ride scheduled.

Today only the left side of my left foot hurts -- it hurts like a bruise but there's no bruising. The other issues are, er, resolving. Training resumes tomorrow morning before it gets stupid-hot. I have some races ahead.

Last edited by Red Rider; 08-13-12 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Adding Strava link