View Single Post
Old 09-29-17, 01:26 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Brooks B-17 saddle. The intent is for this to go on the Lynskey, as one of my goals with this bike is to make it comfortable for very long rides. I rode my current Trek 2100 (from 2003) in a 106-mile century a few months before I stopped riding (due to a military deployment, and then just didn't start again for two years after I got back). Being a big guy on a long ride, that saddle just sucked by the 2/3 mark or so of that ride, and it just went downhill from there. I've never ridden a Brooks before now, and I've got 100 miles on it right now since I put it on the Trek a few days ago. As soon as the Lynskey arrives I'll ride it once with the stock saddle just to give me something to compare to, then the Brooks is going on it. The Brooks is already noticeably more comfortable after 100 miles than it was on that first ride, where it felt like I was sitting on an awkward hunk of granite. I would say that overall the Brooks is more comfortable in general than my previous saddle, though it still can be uncomfortable in certain positions, but in different ways than my former saddle. Given how it's softening up and becoming more comfortable with each ride, I have high hopes that it will just "disappear" and become something I barely even notice during a ride, as many people reported in stuff I read online before buying it.

The Brooks doesn't mount as far back on the seatpost as my original saddle, though, so I'm noticeably forward on the bike compared to what I'm used to, and I don't like it. I called up Lynskey and had them add the offset version of their titanium seatpost to my order, so presumably I'll be able to use the Brooks and have my saddle in a correct fit location.

I have two Contintental Grand Prix 4000IIs 28mm tires that I ordered specifically for the new bike as well, but I couldn't wait, and put them on my Trek. The rear fit with minimal space left over. I thought the front originally fit, but I kept having to let air out to keep it from rubbing the fork at the top, so I finally put the 25mm GP4K back on there. I noticed a difference in comfort with these tires, and I definitely noticed putting the 25mm back on the front after having the 28mm on there (with difficulty) for several rides. These tires should fit on the R260 just fine. After reading a lot, I ordered a pair of Compass Stampede Pass 32mm ultralight tires. Presumably this new bike will fit them, and provide a plush, comfortable, and fast ride.

Now it's just a waiting game. I've already waited for 7 weeks since ordering the R250, and changing the order to the 260 will certainly set it back at least a little. I hope it's not too much longer.

My Trek has the handlebars quite far below the saddle, in a more aggressive position. Being a big guy, I accordingly spend about 60-70% of my rides with my hands on the top cross bars, and 30-40% riding the hoods. I almost never go down into the drops. I'm hoping that with the more comfortable geometry of the R260 compared to my Trek that I'll be able to spend more time in the drops for similar angles and body positioning as I currently get riding the hoods, and that when I ride the hoods or the tops of the new bike it will be even more comfortable. At my age and size there's zero chance I'll ever be a racer, so my goal is to have a bike that I'm comfortable riding over very long distances, and to still be performant enough that I can hang with the A group of the local group I rode with up to 2014, as I've done so far with my Trek. I think the longest rides we did with that group were about 50-55 miles. I'd like to do more centuries, and build up enough endurance to attempt some 200k and then 300k randoneuring brevets.

Anyhow, when the R260 comes I'll take photos of it for you guys in its stock configuration, and then more when I put on the Brooks saddle, offset Ti seatpost, and the 32mm Compass Stampede Pass tires with their tan sidewalls. It should be a cool bike, and I'm getting excited now that I know it's got to be coming soon.